Saturday, September 22, 2012

Power Pix Wall and WBT Signs

What a powerful thing it is to look up at the back wall and see the skills we've covered so far.  It not only gives you a sense of accomplishment, but it also, and more importantly, allows for quick review and reminder.  We had Open House this past Tuesday and parents were able to see everything we've been covering.  Our administrators do 'walk-throughs' in every classroom now as part of our evaluation process and they too can see what we're covering, what the students should know.  I am very happy with this component of a WBT classroom.  By the way, I made my display walls with sheet protectors and (Dollar Tree) plastic tablecloths.  I wonder if I should change it out each quarter or try to leave everything up all year. I'm not sure if it would appear too busy.  For now, however, ba da da da da, I'm loving it!



As you can see, this week we covered subjects and predicates and rounding.  So cool!

Also we have updated our WBT gestures board for our WBT activites.  Just this week we received four new students and it was great to listen to my students explaining the gestures and pointing to them on the wall.  In an earlier post I wrote about a new gesture we created.  Ironically, I wrote it backwards.  It's actually called Backwards Mirror and it is where the teacher does the gesture and the students say the part.  The gesture for it is - hands up and then turn them around so your palms are facing you.  Palms out then palms in.
I've been really happy with the way LINES! works.  We also do SEATS! to return to our seats after going to the carpet.  The one we have to work on is repeating the page number when I tell them what page to turn to.  I even have our librarian using Hands and Eyes for important things she needs to teach the students.  Next week I hope to post an update on our Super Improvers Wall. Also, I just want to share that I've been wearing my 'Rule #5' pin everyday since the beginning of school.  I have gotten so many questions about it.  This gives me the opportunity to talk about WBT and share the exciting news of how great it works!  It also serves as a daily reminder to the students to ...Keep your dear teacher happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment